Note to Chart 5.
John Pemberton, an Apothecary, came from Chester to Liverpool, of which town he was Bailiff in 1660 and a Freeman in 1693. He died in 1705. The male line soon died out, but descendants in the female line still survive. He was probably connected with the Pembertons of Chester.
The Chart has been compiled from the Parish Registers of St. Nicholas, Liverpool, and Holy Trinity, Chester, and the Wills indicated on the Chart, with information supplied by Mr. Ernest Axon, of Heaton Moor, Stockport. There are two other Lancashire families which call for notice.
(1) PEMBERTONS OF HALEWOOD
The Victorian History* gives the following facts. Alice, the widow of Roger de Pemberton in 1349 granted two plots of land in Halewood to her son William and Margery his wife, with the remainder to their four sons, John, William, Henry and Roger. The third son, Henry, had come into possession by 1402, when he settled them on his son William and his heirs by Margery his wife. This Margery was the daughter of Simon de Hales, of Eccleston. By 1508 the property had come to a John de Pemberton, who sold it out of the family.
(2) FAMILY OF MR. GEORGE TAYLOR PEMBERTON
This Mr. Pemberton’s father was Mr. John Pemberton, a solicitor, of Liverpool, who had two sons and six daughters. Mr. George Taylor Pemberton, the elder son, was born in 1856, and in 1884 married at Mamaroneck, New York, Miss Isabella Taylor, by whom he had three sons. The eldest, Oswald, and the youngest, Vivian Telfer, were killed in the war. Capt. Alexander Lancaster Pemberton, R.G.A., the twin brother of Vivian, was born in 1894, and in 1919 married Miss Phyllis Evelyn Litchfield Steele. Mr. John Pemberton’s second son was Thomas, who died, apparently, unmarried. The daughters were Katharine, Florence, Agnes, Emily, Ada and Beatrice, of whom the second and third are deceased.
* Vol. III., p. 150.